Your Travel Cart
Including all taxes I accept the Cancellation policy ACCOMMODATION AND TOURS
Cancellations made more than 60 days from check-in date will receive a 100% refund of the deposit paid or the option of a credit, which is valid for one year from cancellation date.
Cancellations made between 60 and 31 days from check-in date will receive a 70% refund of the deposit paid or the option of a credit, which is valid for one year from the cancellation date. Cancellations made between 30 and 10 days from the check-in date will receive a 30% refund of deposit paid. Cancellations made less than 10 days from the check-in date will forfeit the deposit paid.

Cancellations made more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled pick-up time will receive a 100% refund of the deposit paid. Cancellations made less than 24 hours prior to pick-up will forfeit the deposit paid.
Continue Shopping
Where do I find my booking confirmation? What is payment on arrival? Why book with us?


We have a rapidly growing list of Tulum Real Estate frequently asked questions, so feel free to browse through.

1. Can a foreign individual, corporation, or trust own property in Mexico, or is it a lease?

Yes you can own property in Mexico, and no it is not a lease. Decades ago, the law did not allow foreigners of any sort to own property within 30 miles of the coastal waters, and within 50 miles of the borders. The purpose of this legislation was to protect Mexico’s sovereignty though the establishment of the restricted zone. Today, the most common way to own residential property along the Mexican coastline or borders is trough a "Mexican Trust" called Fideicomiso. The "Trust" is completely safe and provides foreign individual, corporations, and trusts with all the rights of ownership. A Mexican bank is required by law to administer and represent an owner of a Mexican Trust. The beneficiary of a "Trust" can be a foreign individual, corporation, or trust.

2. Can I establish a Mexican corporation?

Yes. To create a Mexican corporation is a fairly simple matter that requires a minimum of two partners, both of which can be foreigners. A Mexican corporation is permitted to purchase real property and/or operate a business. Virtually all Mexican corporations hire an accountant (CPR) to handle the required paperwork; given that accounting and tax declaration is complicated due to the existing fiscal laws which change frequently, and with the addition of new laws which occur often.

3. What would the annual expenses be for Mexican property?

Property tax ("predial"): Based on the Municipality appraisal value. A 4-bedroom house on the ocean pays between $1,000 and $1,500 USD Bank Trust fee: Each bank has different fees. Some have a fixed rate and some others calculate it according to the appraised value of the property. You can expect yearly fee between $500.00 and $1,000.00 USD Federal Zone tax: If your property is right on the beach you will pay this tax every year, and it is calculated on the frontage of the lot. A 66-foot ocean front lot pays about $400.00 USD a year.

4. Can I rent my property while I’m not using it?

Yes. Many people are aware of this area given the tourist tradition of the last 25 years. Recently, the internet exposure has increased the awareness of this area considerably. There are a number of rental organizations that contribute to a high occupancy rate. Some owners handle their rentals successfully through a web site. Property rental is an excellent way to quickly recover your initial investment.

5. How can I provide maintenance to the property and cover the expenses if I don’t live in Mexico?

Most condominium buildings have an on site administrator who takes care of the property. A monthly maintenance fee is paid by each unit to cover expenses. Most houses have a casita (small house) at the entrance to a property that houses the caretaker. The caretaker provides various services to the owner and guests. The cost for caretaker service is easily offset through rentals.
Property Managers are also available. They provide services such as property maintenaince, paying utility bills, purchasing cleaning supplies, paying salaries, supervision of employees, greeting and assisting your guests, and coordinating the immediate repairs the property may need. todotulum Real Estate is happy to recommend Property Managers in the area.

6. Can I bring my own furniture and appliances from a foreign country to Mexico?

Yes. You can bring in one shipment of personal belongings which includes appliances for the property. In order to eliminate problems, accurate paperwork is required. Usually, arrangements are made in Mexico prior to bringing or shipping your belongings. In the past years this was a common practice. Today, you can find a good variety of just about everything you need in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Most often the prices of merchandise is slightly higher than the US or Canada. You must factor in the cost of shipping or transporting your belongings which can be expensive. The stores in Cancun include Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart, Costco, Home Depot, Sears, Office Max, Office Depot, as well as many Mexican stores and department stores. Playa del Carmen now has Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and other large grocery, furniture, hardware, and decor stores.

7. Can I import my vehicle from a foreign country?

Yes. According to the law, the maximum time you can import your vehicle is for a 6 months period. Recent legislation states that you do not have to leave the country and renew your vehicles papers as long as you have a valid tourist or FM3 visa. In any case, a trip to the southern border at Chetumal is only 2.5 hours from Tulum. In Chetumal you can renew your importation certificate. On the way there are some interesting places to visit You can either drive your car into Mexico, or have your vehicle shipped from Miami to Puerto Morelos.

8. How complicated is it to retire in Mexico?

This part of Mexico is becoming ideal for retired people. There is an important American community increasing continuously, attracted by the beauties of the area, the warm winters, and practically no crime. Cancun provides daily direct flights to the major cities of the United States and Europe. To obtain your immigration status as retired is a matter of a few days and about $500.00 USD, if you hire a lawyer for the paper work. It is less expensive if you do it yourself, however we recommend using a lawyer or legal firm with experience to facilitate the process.

9. How complicated is it to move to and work in Mexico?

It is much easier than for a Mexican to get established in the States. You can either open a corporation or work for someone else. If you are going to work for someone else you will need a letter stating they are offering you the job, explaining your position in the organization and the salary you will receive. If you are opening a corporation you can get your immigration papers as the administrator of your company and you will need a notary and a reliable accountant firm. In any case, can assist you in the process and advise you. We have a large list of clients whom we have helped with this issue.

10. What kind of financing is available in a real estate purchase?

Presently there are a few American institutions providing financing to Americans and Canadians in order to purchase houses or condominiums that are already built. In most transactions, the only financing is provided by the seller. Most transactions are by cash with the purchaser making arrangements back home. Mexican banks do not lend to foreigners.